Happy World Backup Day! Â Thatâ€™s right, March 31st is now considered World Backup Day, where everyone is encouraged to backup their precious important documents and memories. Â There is even a pledgeÂ that folks are encouraged to say:
THE WORLD BACKUP DAY PLEDGE
â€œI solemnly swear to backup my important documents and precious memories on March 31st.â€
I will also tell my friends and family about World Backup Day â€“ friends donâ€™t let friends go without a backup.
Source: Â http://www.worldbackupday.com/en/
What a great cause to bring awareness to the potential failures of technology and remind people to backup their documents and photos of their family and freinds! Â But the big question we have to ask is, what about your business? Â Are you backing up ALL of your critical business data AND more importantly, have you ever TESTED your backup system?
Here is what we typically find when we audit a companiesâ€™ backup method:
- Yes, they are backing up data, but NO they are not backing up ALL critical dataÂ necessary
- Yes, they believe they are backing up data, but to a device not even actually plugged in!
- Yes, they are backing up data, but still to tape, which is an old, failing technology, and are not even sure how regularly the tapes are brought offsite
- Yes, they are backing up data, but not weekly, only monthly
- Yes, they are backing up data, but have never checked to see if their backups are working properly
- Yes, they are backing up data, but only onsite and not to the cloud, therefore are at risk in the event of natural disaster
- Yes, they are backing up data and have a disaster recovery plan, but not a full business continuity solution and will still experience costly downtime
So as you can see, the question is two-fold. Â Itâ€™s not just, are you backing up dataâ€¦ itâ€™s are you backing up your data correctly!?!
SSE can help you TEST your backups and put in place a full Business Continuity solution that will help your company avoid costly downtime. Â If youâ€™d like more information on what the difference is between Traditional Backup methods and a full Business Continuity solution, click here.
You can also join us at our FREE upcoming breakfast event on Business Continuity on May 13th. Â For more information on the event, click here. Â And if youâ€™d like to schedule an appointment to discuss data backups and business continuity at your business, click below to get started today.